March 18, 2009

National Pride

One of the things I love most about the Hungarian people is their pride in their country. This past Sunday was the anniversary of the 1848 Revolution. There are two major revolutions that are commemorated in Hungary. March 15th and October 23rd (1956 Revolution). On both of these holidays I have had the privilege to watch people come and celebrate their history. Even in my little town of Diosd there was a crowd of people surrounding one the main statues in town. They had a little ceremony and then surrounded the place with little Hungarian flags, flowers and ribbons. I think every person I walked by on Sunday had a little Hungarian flag pinned to their lapel. I appreciate the fact that in spite of their often sad history, they richly celebrate the good times!

No comments: