December 19, 2010

Christmas Traditions

I love Christmas traditions.  From Pillsbury cinnamon rolls Christmas morning to Christmas carol charades with the Mehlers to LRC with the Berliners, I simply love things that we can always look forward to year after year.  This year, I think I may have discovered a new tradition I want to be a part of.  On Saturday night, my church hosted a festival of lessons and carols.   I got the unique privilege of participating because the Christmas choir I am in sang two songs.  I had never heard of this type of event  before, but it was really great!   This idea started at the Kings College at Cambridge University.  On Christmas Eve in the year 1918, Cambridge hosted its first Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols.  To this day, they still hold the service every Christmas Eve.  In 1928, they began broadcasting the service and it has been broadcast every year since (with the exception of 1930).  The festival always begins with the hymn "Once in Royal David's City" and always ends with "Hark the Herald Angels Sing."  I am hoping to make the listening of this service part of my yearly Christmas traditions.   Would you like to join me?  This year's service will be at 3pm London time (9am Chicago time) on Christmas Eve.  If you would like to listen, click here and enjoy!  Hope you have a blessed Christmas season remembering the great gift we received from the most generous Giver!

3 comments:

Rosemary Alabaster said...

Yes, and possibly the most beautiful event ever broadcast - but I live in Italy, where the ghastly overpaid staff at the BBC (Moslem head of religious broadcasting) will not allow it to come.

Alison said...

Go and take your nasty prejudices somewhere else Rosemary. The Festival of NIne Lessons and Carols certainly is available in Italy on the BBC World Service - I've just checked.

Mary J said...

Merry Christmas! And it will be available online on Christmas morning at BBC radio 3