December 11, 2010

Stories

I love stories.  Who doesn't?  I especially love hearing peoples' life stories.  Perhaps it is the history teacher in me, or perhaps it is just a quirk.  Either way, there is little I enjoy more than a good story.  Yesterday I had the opportunity to sit down with one of my students to hear her story.  I thought I was sitting down to help her write a bio for a scholarship possibility, but in the end I think I got a beautiful picture of how God can use one person's story to shower His grace on many.   You see, this particular student doesn't have the typical middle class suburban life story so many of us know as "normal."  She was born in the midst of war.  She had to leave her home country and live in a refugee camp.  She saw things know child should have to see.  She was bullied when she was finally able to attend school.  Eventually, the Lord brought her to ICSB.  While there is heartbreak in her story, there is also clearly the grace of God.  I was amazed to watch this resilient girl share about her desire to use her experience to help others.  What struck me the most was not that this girl saw (in my opinion) some of the worst sides of human evil, but that she saw the need.  The need for someone to help.  The need for someone to instigate change.  She is not content to sit by as others live in poor circumstances.  As we ended our conversation, I couldn't help but think (and share with her) that God is going to use this story in a mighty way.  It is clear to see how He is using it in her life, and I am excited to see how He is going to continue to use it in the lives of others.  I was blessed yesterday when I heard a story.

"You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. "  Genesis 50:20

No comments: