August 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Hungary!

So I guess I am in what you would call a blogging mood. I really should be getting to bed, as tomorrow is the first day of school! I am really looking forward to getting started! Today, we went downtown to celebrate the birth of Hungary that they mark by the date of the coronation of their first king, Stephen (Istvan in Hungarian). First, we saw the Red Bull Air Show, which was spectacular. The planes flew almost into the bridges and then weaved their way through an obstacle course over the Danube. It was a little slice of home as Chicago also has a wonderful air show. I will post pictures if I got any good ones. After that we had dinner downtown, and then watched the fireworks. AMAZING does not begin to describe the display the prime minister's office put on. They had identical fireworks going off from all three of the major bridges that cross over the river. They also had fireworks going off simultaneously on citadel hill. All of this was perfectly synchronized with music playing over the loudspeakers. It was by far the best fireworks display I have ever seen! It was truly a wonderful way to spend the last day of summer!

1 comment:

University of Iowa Meg said...

Good luck with your first day of school!